Michel Auriou is a 4th generation rasp and tool maker. Here is a little history of his tool production.
The original factory was established in 1856 by Mr Duneau at Châtenay-Malabry near Paris. Mr Duneau manufactured tools for artists (Maillol, Rodin, Camille Claudel, Belmondo…). He sent riffler blanks to Saint-Juéry in south west France to be hand "stitched" by Mr Caussé, Michel's grandfather's brother in law. Without a child to continue the factory, Mr Duneau made a proposition to Paulin Caussé to come to Paris. Paulin Caussé accepted and he bought the Duneau factory in 1921.
Louis Auriou, Michel's grandfather, went to Paris to help Paulin. Louis came back to Saint-Juéry in 1933 and worked alone up until 1960 when he and Michel's father Bernard bought the company from Paulin. The forge and building where he now works in Saint Juery was built in 1967 and extended in 1975.
He had to close the business in 2007 when he had 17 workers. Some friends invested to re-start the business in 2008. They did not want such an old company with such a wonderful history to die and for all their skills to be lost.
Despite the tough economic times he has recovered many of his old markets and he continues to look at new traditional tools to make for the precision shaping of wood, stone and plaster. He is now a team of 7 workers based at the same factory. He does not plan to get much bigger, just better and better at making great hand tools.
Michel is still the only toolmaker that uses the same forging techniques that earned Auriou a deserved reputation for quality. This reputation for fine tools is appreciated by artists and craftspeople throughout the world.
He is a small team - Michel, 2 blacksmiths/grinders, 2 stitchers, one stitcher/general trainee and one blacksmith/grinder trainee.